Lemon Myrtle Essential Oil: A Refreshing Boost for Your Skin Care Routine
When it comes to natural ingredients for skin care, Lemon Myrtle Essential Oil stands out as a powerful and refreshing option. Derived from the leaves of the Lemon Myrtle plant (Backhousia citriodora), native to Australia, this essential oil offers a range of benefits that can rejuvenate and revitalize your skin. It has an invigorating aroma, antimicrobial properties and is a popular choice in the world of natural skin care.
Here at Yarra Naturals, we use lemon myrtle essential oil in a number of our products. Our Lemon Myrtle bar soap is very popular. We also like to use it in our liquid soaps and bath and shower steamers. Scroll further down for some great ideas on how you can use lemon myrtle at home in your skincare routine with everyday items from your pantry.
Here are some more reasons why we like to use it:
1. Antimicrobial and Antiseptic Properties:
One of the key benefits of Lemon Myrtle Essential Oil in skin care is its potent antimicrobial and antiseptic properties. Its high concentration of citral, which gives the oil its lemony scent, has been shown to effectively combat various bacteria, viruses, and fungi. Incorporating this oil into your skincare routine can help cleanse and protect your skin from harmful microbes, making it particularly beneficial for individuals with acne-prone or oily skin.
2. Natural Astringent:
Lemon Myrtle Essential Oil acts as a natural astringent, meaning it helps to tighten and tone the skin by reducing excess oil production and minimizing the appearance of pores. Regular use of this oil can leave your skin looking more refined and smooth.
3. Rich in Antioxidants:
The oil is abundant in antioxidants, such as lutein and vitamin E, which are known for their ability to combat free radicals that can damage skin cells and accelerate signs of aging. These antioxidants help protect your skin from environmental stressors, promoting a more youthful and radiant complexion.
4. Skin Soothing and Calming:
Lemon Myrtle Essential Oil possesses soothing properties that can be beneficial for individuals with sensitive or irritated skin. It can help alleviate redness, inflammation, and itchiness, providing a gentle and calming effect on the skin.
5. Invigorating Aroma:
Beyond its skin-enhancing benefits, the refreshing citrus aroma of Lemon Myrtle Essential Oil can uplift your mood and create a sense of relaxation. Its aromatherapy properties make it an excellent addition to your skincare routine, promoting not only healthy skin but also overall well-being.
How to Use Lemon Myrtle Essential Oil in Skin Care:
– Facial Steam: Add a few drops of Lemon Myrtle Essential Oil to a bowl of hot water and use a towel to create a steam tent over your face. This will help open up your pores and cleanse the skin.
– DIY Facial Toner: Mix a few drops of Lemon Myrtle Essential Oil with witch hazel or aloe vera gel to create a natural facial toner. Apply it to your face with a cotton pad after cleansing to tighten the skin and minimize pores.
– Body Scrub: Blend Lemon Myrtle Essential Oil with a carrier oil (olive oil, coconut oil and sweet almond oil are great options) and sugar or salt to create a revitalizing body scrub that exfoliates and invigorates your skin.
– Aromatherapy Massage: Dilute the essential oil with a carrier oil and use it for a refreshing and uplifting aromatherapy massage that nourishes your skin and relaxes your senses.
As with any essential oil, it’s essential to perform a patch test before using Lemon Myrtle Essential Oil to ensure you don’t have any adverse reactions. Also, pregnant and breastfeeding individuals should consult a healthcare professional before using essential oils.
Incorporating Lemon Myrtle Essential Oil into your skincare routine can be a refreshing and invigorating experience. Its natural antimicrobial, astringent, and antioxidant properties make it a versatile and beneficial addition to your beauty regimen. So, go ahead and explore the wonders of Lemon Myrtle Essential Oil for healthy, glowing skin!